Request a Quote
Should be Empty:
Type of Service:
Upload Plan:
Including Gross Floor Area (GFA)

How do I get a building certified?

  1. Arrange for a licenced draftsman or architect (contact our office if you require assistance locating a suitable person) to draw up plans (including gross floor areas - GFA).
  2. Lodge your plans with us for a quote (this can be done via email, post, dropping it into our office or via the quote request box on our home page)
  3. Collect all the requirements for an application as listed in the checklist for your development.
  4. IDAS forms can be found under helpful links on our website (if you have any questions about these forms please contact our office and one of our helpful staff can talk you through them)
  5. Once our office receives all the information listed on the relevant checklist we are able to enter your application into our system
  6. At this stage one of our staff members will carry out a town planning check on your application to ensure there are no issues associated with the development.  This is not assessment of the application which is then carried out once all the checklist items are received.  (N.B. Our building certifier makes the final decision on whether we will accept the application)
  7. The building certifier will then issue a building approval for which a copy will be passed on to the owner, builder and the appropriate council as required by legislation
  8. Once your builder receives his copy of the building approval, building work can commence (builders must ensure that a copy of the building approval is kept on site at all times)
  9. The builder is required to contact our office at the stages specified on the conditions of approval to arrange inspections.  We require 48 hours’ notice for this and a week for work which is outside of the Toowoomba City Area.
  10. Once all work is completed and all conditions of approval have been complied with, (along with the required certificates) final certificates can be issued
  11. Final certificates are sent to builder, owner and council